Sunday 3 January 2016

I stand corrected

So as usual, I know nothing about building and I stand corrected yet again with the things that were bugging me.

We took another tour through the house with our SS and on closer inspection of the tiles in the shower (now that they've been grouted), the tiles don't look nearly as 'out' as I thought they did. They actually look pretty damn awesome and I'm so happy with them. I've also decided that the exhaust fan is just fine where it is and I'll stop sweating the small things :P

Our SS is a bloody awesome bloke too. He's pointing out things I would never have noticed (at least not right away) and telling us he's not happy with the quality and getting it re-done (some tile cutting and some painting for example).

We are so close to moving in now, I'm getting very excited. It's been such a long drawn out journey.  Our SS is hoping that it'll all be finished and ready for us to inspect (and hopefully sign off) by mid to late January.  It is our hope that we'll be moved in before our daughter goes back to school at the start of February. I'm not holding my breath though.

Our next dilemma will be what to do with our front yard.  It slopes down slightly (towards the house), so we're thinking a retaining wall of some sort.  We're also having an exposed aggregate driveway, with a small section at the front of the house and the porch also being exposed agg.  We had no idea what to do at the front, so we just left it up to the builder to 'design' it for us.  We're likely to cover it with decking at some stage (yes, I know, even though we've paid for the exposed agg).

Something we didn't really notice when we signed off on the plans. A strange added on bit at the front of the porch.

Our original idea was to build a deck stepping down from the footpath to the front door. But our latest issue we've discovered is the front taps are in the way.
It's hard to see in the photo above, but the deck would need to be cut around the taps as they intrude slightly.
We could perhaps have a plumber move the taps slightly, although I'm not sure if you're actually allowed to do that and it's just another expense I don't want.  We might have to come up with another idea for the front yard. We're not terribly creative though, so this might prove to be a large challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment